During the last two centuries, the access of women to higher education has become much easier in most developed countries. At the same time the significant transformations in science and technology have also affected the participation of women in the scientific enterprise as knowledge producers, science managers, and educators. Especially in the last three decades, given the changes in our perception of the role of science and technology in society, scholars have explored different sites of knowledge production and have highlighted the changing roles of both men and women in the sciences.
The task of the conference is to map the historical path of women from equal opportunities in education to the position of knowledge producers, science managers and educators in the light of the gendered transformations of the sciences in the 20th and 21st centuries. We would like to explore especially the following themes preferably from a historical perspective:
- Paths of women to equal opportunities in education and tenure track jobs in different cultural and political environments.
- Differences in the position of female and male scientists in cooperative research teams and patterns of collaboration.
- Outstanding women scientists and engineers: authors of scientific discoveries and technical inventions; team-leaders; scientific managers.
- Transformations in science and society and gendered effects in knowledge production.
- Changes in science and society that reshaped the academia, working cultures and career paths of both men and women
- Ways that the globalization of the scientific knowledge production affected women’s claims to knowledge in various parts of the world
- Opportunities and risks in science, technology and society in terms of producing gender sensitive knowledge.
Date: 4–6 June 2015
Venue: Praha Karolinum, Ovocný trh 5, 116 36 Prague 1, Czech Republic
31. 10. 2014 – deadline for submitting panels and declaration of interest – new deadline
15. 12. 2014 – deadline for submitting papers
31. 1. 2015 – final programme
- Early bird full: 75 EUR until 31 December 2014
- Early bird student: 35 EUR until 31 December 2014
- Regular full:90 EUR until 15 May 2015
- Regular student: 50 EUR until 15 May 2015
- Onsite full: 95 EUR
- Onsite student: 55 EUR
Information about payment options will be provided at a later date.